Spring Cleaning and Car Care from Graff Chevrolet Mt. Pleasant
During the long winter months salt, dirt, and grime can dirty your vehicle inside and out, which is why spring cleaning is an important part of seasonal maintenance. Our team at Hank Graff Chevrolet Mt. Pleasant wants to make sure your vehicle is clean and ready for the warmer seasons by providing you some valuable spring cleaning and car care tips. It is important to take care of your vehicle by cleaning the exterior and interior for a few reasons other than looks. The exterior can collect dirt, gravel, and salt, which can cause long-term damages like rust. The interior can hold odors, allergens, dust, and collect salt from the winter, which can make for an uncomfortable and distracted ride. Learn these tips and tricks to cleaning your vehicle’s exterior, interior, and how to get the winter salt out of your carpets.
Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Car’s Exterior
Giving your vehicle a car wash has many benefits to your vehicle’s exterior other than making it look great. During the winter season your car faces dirt and gravel build up as well as road salt. By neglecting to wash these off of your vehicle for long periods of time they can begin to erode your vehicle’s undercarriage, exposed components, and can take a toll on your vehicle’s paint. This is a factor that contributes to rust stains on your exterior. By having an occasional car wash you can prevent unnecessary wear and rust to your vehicle. Local car washes are a great solution to get in and out quickly. If you are someone who likes to wash your car at home we have a few tips to help you get a better clean:
- Microfiber rags, soft sponges, or soft brushes are the most effective way to wash your vehicle’s exterior. Do not use magic erasers, as they are too abrasive for your vehicle’s paint.
- Dryer sheets are a gentle, yet effective way to get bugs and dirt off of your front grill.
- Use specialized car cleaning soap. Regular dish detergent can be too harsh on your vehicle’s paint.
- Remove tree sap by using a microfiber towel, soap, and hot water.
- Wash your vehicle one side at a time. This way you can wash the soap away before it dries.
- Fully rinse your car and bucket before and after. Also, try rinsing the undercarriage as thoroughly as you can.
- Rinse your tools and always switch your bucket water so that you do not wash your car with old dirt.
- Wax your car! Waxing is a cleaning step that tends to get overlooked, but it actually helps prevent dirt from scratching your car and helps with UV ray protection.
Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Car’s Interior
When it comes to cleaning the inside of your car, it can be very intimidating depending on its current state, but it doesn’t have to be! When the temperature outside gets warmer you can use our spring cleaning tips to make cleaning the inside of your car easy to do. Throwing away the trash, getting out the crumbs and dirt, and dusting off your dashboard can provide a nice refreshing feeling in your this spring. Spring cleaning on the interior of your vehicle is just as important as cleaning the exterior. When you drive a vehicle that is cluttered you could face troubles in an emergency situation because of the distraction and disorganization clutter can cause. At Hank Graff Chevrolet in Mt. Pleasant, MI we always want you to be safe on the road, and help you take care of your vehicle. Below are a few of our best spring cleaning tips for your car’s interior:
- Decide what items you want to keep. This is when you can keep some things in the car, but get rid of things you might not need for warmer weather.
- Clear clutter and trash by getting out recyclables and disposing them properly.
- Wash the inside of your windows to get rid of streaking or finger prints. A semi-wet microfiber rag and a vinegar-based solution is a great way to get that streak-free shine.
- Use coffee filters to dust off your dashboard and plastic surfaces. Coffee filters and microfiber rugs are perfect for picking up dust instead of spreading it.
- Shake out all of your rugs to release any loose dirt and gravel.
- Vacuum rugs, carpets, and seats to remove crumbs and dirt.
- Air out your vehicle with the windows down (weather permitting) and invest in vehicle air fresheners.
How to Remove Salt from Vehicle Carpets
Road salt helps your vehicle drive on the roads in the winter season, but it can also be detrimental. Even if you are careful with getting in and out of your car, the road salt can still find its way into your carpet and rugs. Salt can cause as much damage to the interior of your vehicle as it can to the exterior. To prevent damage from road salt we recommend investing in plastic car mats. If you do find salt in your vehicle’s interior carpets and rugs here are a few steps to help remove it:
- Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 diluted water and vinegar solution.
- Spray the vinegar solution on the various salt spots just enough to get the carpet slightly wet. Then let it stand for a few minutes.
- Use a clean dry rag to dab the wet spots. Do not wipe or dab the spot too hard because you want to have the dry rag absorb the stain and not smear.
- If the rag becomes too wet and the stain remains in the carpet, you will want to switch it out for a dryer rag and continue the process.
- Once the spot is dry your salt stain should be gone. If the salt stain still appears to be there you can repeat steps 2-4.
Schedule Seasonal Spring Maintenance in Mt. Pleasant, MI at Hank Graff Chevrolet
Routinely cleaning your vehicle’s exterior and interior can be easy and fun if you keep up with the seasonal maintenance. This will not only have your car looking great but will help extend its life by protecting your car’s paint and exposed components against wear and rust. Bring your vehicle into the Graff Chevrolet Mt. Pleasant Service Center and we can help you with seasonal tire rotations, fluid inspections, oil changes and more. You can learn more tips on keeping your vehicle in top shape by visiting our Routine Maintenance pages in the Service section of our website. Graff Chevrolet Mt. Pleasant is located at 4580 E. Pickard, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858. We proudly serve the Mt. Pleasant area as well as Midland, Big Rapids, Clare, Alma, Ithaca, and St. Louis. You can schedule your seasonal maintenance appointment online or call (989) 773-3937 today.